Thursday, 12 February 2009

Umbrellas and Cookies

It's been a rough week. Ok, maybe not rough, exactly, but all these strange these keep happening to me.

On Monday it poured all day and was quite windy. I was walking to class and happened to pass someone I kind of knew. We said hi and I turned around to talk to him for a second, then continued on my way. I noticed that people were looking at me funny, or maybe not-looking at me funny...Just by chance I looked up. The wind had blown my umbrella inside out and I was just walking around like that! Thanks to all you polite British people for not laughing...but also for not telling me...?

I haven't been sleeping well lately. I think my sleep schedule is just a little off or something. Maybe my circadian rhythm is having a bit of delayed jet lag... Since I can't usually sleep until late, I have been sleeping later. And on Tuesday, I woke up late, but I wanted to go to the fruit and vegetable market before I went to class. So I got out of bed, threw on some clothes, and set off. I was doing my shopping, picking out grapes I believe, when I ran into a friend of a friend. We said our hi-how-are-you's and I was turning back to my grapes when he asked, "Are you ill?" Uh...no? "Oh...Did you go to a party last night?" Um...no. "What's the matter with you?" I JUST WOKE UP, OK??

What in the world! It's good to be blunt, really it is. But there are some situations where the line doesn't really need to be crossed, especially indirect bluntness (is that even possible?). He could have just said, "Wow, you look horrible!" and got on with it. Instead, question after question implying how ridiculously bad I looked! I told my flatmate and she said, "You should have just told him you just had an exciting night of drug experimenation." Hmmm. Should I thank her for the comeback, or be offended? Really not sure...

My latest ambition has been to go to the gym every day, and run, and eat healthy, and just generally get really in shape. I'm in my second week. And really, not to brag or anything, but I am definitely taking names. Anyways, I'm sure you can imagine the horror I experienced on Wednesday while I was running on the treadmill (too rainy outside) and a smelly guy chose the treadmill next to mine. This wasn't any ordinary smell guy, which is a bit offensive, yet almost expected at the gym. He smelled like cookies. COOKIES. Who does he think he is, coming to the gym smelling like chocolate chip deliciousness? I went through at least 15 minutes of torture because of this man! His conscience must be giving him the biggest guilt trip of his life right now. It better!

Today, Thursday, has been pretty uneventful, although I did see a fantastic film in my British cinema class! The Wicked Lady. Definitely see it!

A while ago I went on a Nature Walk and took some English Sunset photos. It's probably only about 5 to 10 minutes from campus. Everyone keeps telling me how Sussex Uni. prides itself on being surrounded by "an area of outstanding natural beauty." I also want you to know that this trail would never pass an inspection by the BCH trail crew. It was barely 6 inches wide!!! And look at those rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment